Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I may have gone a little too far...

Let me preface this by saying that I never go anywhere without my knitting. I have sock knitting projects in both my car and my hubby's, just in case I get out somewhere and don't have a project with me. When the sock gets to where I'm turning the heel, it comes into the house and another sock project is put into the car to take it's place.

There is nothing worse to me than being out somewhere and needing to kill more than 15 minutes and not having knitting with me.

Okay. So now for the rest of the post. I was sent to a Cardiovascular surgeon because of problems with my legs. It's turns out I have to have a series of four surgeries, four weeks apart. When asking about the surgery, he said that it is done under local anesthesia, and it takes approximately 2 hours. Here is how the conversation proceeded after that:

Me: "Can I drive myself or do I need a ride?"
Doctor: "It depends on the patient. Some are more stressed about things like this than others, and need to be given something."
Me: "Can I knit during the surgery?"
Doctor: Who at this point is looking a little stunned "You mean like with needles and yarn?" (Now mind you, I've been sitting in his office knitting during this whole conversation)
Me: "Yeah. Like what I'm doing now."
Doctor: "Well, you'll be laying down."
Me: "That's okay, I can knit laying down, too."
Doctor: "You aren't going to need a ride home. I'm pretty sure you won't need the Ativan."

I stil haven't gotten a definitive answer if they will let me knit or not. The poor doctor looked a little shell-shocked. But I plan to resume the conversation at my next visit. I'll keep you posted.

6 comments:

ChelleC said...

Now that is funny - knitting during surgery? I did knit right after mine, at the end of recovery. That's when they knew I was ready to go home and sent me home shaking their heads. Of course, I goofed up the sock I was knitting and had to rip back a bit later. But I got some amused laughs on the way out as they wheeled me out, knitting, to my husband's car.

Jen said...

You guys are awesome... truly awesome... LOL

Elizabeth(muffinknits on Ravelry) said...

That is TOO funny-let us know what he says next time...

Kris said...

Thanks for a really good laugh. I haven't had a good laugh in a few days, so this was REALLY appreciated! Rock on!

Steph said...

THAT is awesome!

Elegant Mornings said...

HAHAHAHA Wlll Done! Your poor doc! If you do get to, take pics!


ANd (hugs) on the surgery.