Saturday, September 15, 2007

Outlaw in Spirit

OK. My confession: the most outlaw knitting that I have ever done is to sit on a bench in the front of a Walmart and knit during the busiest time of the day. This wasn't actually intentional, and I wasn't knitting, I was practicing what I thought was a purl stitch, but wasn't. But since then, I've never felt uneasy about whipping out my knitting in public, and knitting before various people.

I am a lonely knitter, as well. To spend $28.50 on yarn seems criminal to my family. What is so great about it? When I say that it is Sundara yarn, now unavailable in the lovely Brier Rose colorway, their eyes glaze over. They do not get it. I just wish that it would come in the mail!

I am outlaw in spirit. I refuse to be intimidated or beaten. I refuse to join the ranks of those who sob and say, "I just can't do this, it is too hard! Wah!". Maybe this is just post-first-sock syndrome (I don't even think the Yarn Harlot has used that one) but I can now look at all those glossy Learn2Knit, EZ-Knits, and other books, and feel bored. I long for something brilliant, complex and simple...oh, and by the way, did I mention that I'm still working on the second sock?

Anyway, I am very happy to be able to join those of Like Mind, the Outlaw Knitters.

Babs

2 comments:

lahodges said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lahodges said...

Babs, I have been a knitter for 35 years and just finished my first pair of socks. I don't know why I never knit any before this, maybe I just never saw any yarn that inspired me. But now I love knitting socks when I'm out anywhere. They are just so dang portable! I plan on always having a pair of socks on needles from here on out.